load balance switching latency

Hello there.

I am setting up a router using openwrt. Part of the project is load
balancing among 2 broadband lines. I made use of the line:

ip route add default scope global \
	nexthop {GW1} dev {IF1} weight 1 \
	nexthop {GW2} dev {IF2} weight 1

somewhere on the configs.

On the test phase, automatically switching (routing) to line GW2 when
line GW1 is suddenly disconnected takes a long time. I'm thinking that
the routing still tries to send to GW1 even though it's dead.

a. Is there a way around this?
b. Does routing react differently to carrier loss (unplugging the cable)
to a fully loaded line?

Any thoughts? Thanks...

--
Alec Joseph Rivera