RE: Prioritizing VOIP traffic without sacrificing throughput

Can you post your configs?
Essentially, in order to keep the latency as low as possible, you need
to make sure that you never exceed the bandwidth of the upstream link.
Whilst doing this, you are able to ensure that your VOIP performance is
good. If you are not throttling your bandwidth, then just
re-prioritising your VOIP traffic will not help. As soon as you do a
large download, your link gets saturated and the latency goes up. Once
that happens, even if your router is re-prioritising the VOIP traffic,
it is still latent, which means that your phone performance will suffer.
By setting the upload and download speeds lower than the line speed, you
ensure that the line does not get latent, and then your re-prioritising
is effective.
Most people seem to be of the opinion that around 80% or so of the line
speed is a good rule of thumb.