Prioritizing VOIP traffic without sacrificing throughput

Hi,

I would like to prioritize VOIP traffic when we use the phone, but other
times not do traffic shaping at all.

Right now I have my openwrt router set up with htb to do shaping.  In
order to get it to work well I had to set my upload and download speeds
much lower than my line speed.  With these settings, I get good VOIP
reception even while surfing the net and doing a long download.
However, even when I'm not using the phone, a long download is more than
twice as slow than it is with shaping turned off.

Is there some way to configure it to only do shaping when it detects
VOIP packets, and otherwise not limit traffic?

Thanks,

Stefanie