Re: complete linux and shaping newbie needs help

On 9/2/07, Javier Ors <jaorani@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello again Javier

> Mmmmmm, could you please post the output of this other command?
> tc -s filter show dev eth0 parent ffff:

Sure!

root@fw:/root# tc -s filter show dev eth0 parent ffff:
filter protocol ip pref 49 u32
filter protocol ip pref 49 u32 fh 800: ht divisor 1
filter protocol ip pref 49 u32 fh 800::800 order 2048 key ht 800 bkt 0 flowid :1
police 1d action drop rate 1420Kbit burst 10Kb mtu 2Kb
  match c0a80007/ffffffff at 16
 Sent 0 bytes 0 pkts (dropped 0, overlimits 0)
filter protocol ip pref 50 u32
filter protocol ip pref 50 u32 fh 801: ht divisor 1
filter protocol ip pref 50 u32 fh 801::800 order 2048 key ht 801 bkt 0 flowid :1
police 1e action drop rate 2840Kbit burst 10Kb mtu 2Kb
  match 00000000/00000000 at 12
 Sent 91611539 bytes 113192 pkts (dropped 0, overlimits 24)

> I've searched a little bit and I think that this solution is not going
> to work, sorry, I would do the tests on my own machine but for the
> moment this is not possible...

That's ok, I appreciate all the trouble you're going to already! I
couldn't possibly ask you more :-)

> If it is what I'm afraid, you are going to have to use another scheme,
> but don't worry, it's easy to find an alternative solution anyway.

Ok. I've been doing some reading, and the little I could understand, I
think the solution would be to mark all packets to/from that
particular machine with iptables MARK or somesuch, and then have a
class in tc set to whatever bandwidth I want to allocate, and some
other tc command to bound those marked packets to that class.

This is all theory, of couse, I haven't the slightest idea how to
accomplish this, or even if this isn't complete hogwash :-)

Regards,

Aidan