Re: complete linux and shaping newbie needs help

On 9/2/07, Javier Ors <jaorani@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Sorry again and again, I've just noticed that gmail adds some odd
> stuff to the text version of my mails, so this is the definitive (I
> hope):

Hola Javier,

Thanks for your reply.

Replying to your first question, yes, both upload and download traffic
are accounted towards our monthly cap. Lame ISP, I know, but
unfortuntaly I can't do anything about it, as it's the only game in
town.

[snip snip]

> HERE BEGINS THE CHANGE
> # filter for your roomate, drop everything that's
> # coming faster than half the DOWNLINK value:
>
> tc filter add dev $DEV parent ffff: protocol ip prio 49 u32 match ip dst \
>    192.168.10.3/32 police rate $[$DOWNLINK/2]kbit burst 10k drop flowid :1
> HERE ENDS THE CHANGE

I tried this, but it doesn't seem to be making any change at all,
unfortunately. I started a large download from ftp.kernel.org and it
was still coming full steam ahead. I let it go on for a minute or two,
hoping it would eventually start to be throttled, but no dice. Is
there perhaps any iptables command that goes with it, or something?

Thanks for taking the time to look into this, much appreciated!

Regards,

Aidan