De : Vincent Dautremont <vdautrem@xxxxxxxxx>
Date : 12 août 2007 01:51:52 GMT+02:00
Objet : tc and multiple ip on a device

Hi,
i'm sort of testing a configuration and things are not working sa i planned.

i have the following network diagram: PC1 to 7 cnneced on the same ethernet hub.

PC1  PC2 PC 3 PC4 PC5 PC6 on network 192.168.5.0
PC6 and PC7 on network 192.168.1.0

so PC6 work as a router. in addition, PC6 is connected to both network on the same device eth0.

now on PC6, put a tbf on dev eth0 root with a rate 100ko/s

send data from PC1 to PC7.  is the data shaped by the tbf ? i'd say yes but it does not !!!
can someone explain me how ? is that normal ? would that happen too if PC6 was connected to both network with different devices ?

I did this test in virtualisation with these 7 machines on my macbookpro because i don't have the necessary hardware.
i think it doesn't change the initial problem but i'm ot 100% sure.

Thanks.
Vincent