bonding tap devices

Hello list,

Please don't shoot me. I know I'm doing something with bonding that
bonding wasn't made for. I just want to give it a try. I want a simple
mechanism to have a failover on a 24Mbit line to a 2Mbit line in case
the 24Mbit line goes down.

Between A and B there are two lines: a 24Mbit and a 2Mbit. I use two
OpenVPN tunnels with tap devices:

  +-- tap0 (A)--- OpenVPN tunnel over 24Mbit --- tap0 (B) ---+
A-+                                                          +-B
  +-- tap1 (A)--- OpenVPN tunnel over 2Mbit ---- tap1 (B) ---+

I set up bond0 on both sides with tap0 as primary device using arpings:

  /sbin/modprobe -v bonding \
    mode=1 \
    primary=tap0 \
    arp_interval=2000 \
    arp_ip_target=10.1.0.1 (2 on the other end)

bond0 (A) 10.1.0.1
bond0 (B) 10.2.0.1

When starting bond0 on both sides, everything is ok. When the 24Mbit
line goes down, the 2Mbit line takes over within a few seconds as
configured.

But the line is not coming back to the primary 24Mbit line as I
expected. There are no arpings sent into the 24Mbit tunnel.

OTOH, the normal situation is immediately restored when I assign an ip
address to the tap-devices and ping them directly (from 10.4.4.4 to
10.5.5.5, I get no reply, but that doesn't matter)

      +-- tap0 10.4.4.4 --- 24Mbit --- tap0 10.5.5.5 ---+
bond0-+ (10.1.0.1)                           (10.2.0.1) +-bond0
      +-- tap1 10.6.6.6 --- 2Mbit ---- tap1 10.7.7.7 ---+

Anyone a hint (or a better idea)?

R.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak
aloud and remove all doubt.