Re: gateway failover with linux

At 2007-07-20 10:12:01 -0500, gtaylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> > I just want a hot standby for a single Linux firewall [...]
>
> I would use a pair of Linux boxen with vrrpd and conntrackd

OK, great. I didn't know about vrrpd. I'll check it out.

> As far as ucarp, I'm not familiar with it so I can't comment.

If I have the time, I'll try out ucarp and post a summary of my
experiences for the archives.

> If you want to know what to do in this situation read about SONITH
> (Shoot Other Node In The Head) to make sure that there is only one
> active node at a time.

("STONITH", for those asking Google.)

I have one other question. How does conntrackd interact with traffic
shaping? My firewall also uses HTB to impose various bandwidth limits
on clients. From what I've read so far, I have the impression that the
failover may lose some packets that are being delayed in a queue, but
existing connections should recover and be esentially unaffected.

Can anyone confirm that?

-- ams