Re: Load Balance and SNAT problem.

Grant Taylor wrote:
Well let me take a moment to be sure we are thinking the same thing. You want the kernel to be able to realize that one route through a given default gateway is no good for a given destination and use a different default gateway even though the kernel can reach other destinations through the first default gateway? In other words, if the kernel can not reach microsoft.com through ISP1 it should use ISP2 despite the fact that it can reach google.com through ISP1?

No, nothing like this. Basically my idea is that a no-packet-seen timer is maintained for every gateway, excluding any packets with a source within the ISPs netblock. This will reliably detect that no traffic is seen beyond the ISP, and therefore pronounce the gateway dead.

The only configuration required from the administrator would be an address/netmask pair for every gateway, to use as an exclusion for the counters, and a no-packets-seen timeout, before a gateway is marked as dead. Any incoming activity on the gateway will immediately change its status back to active.

So to answer your exact question - I want the kernel to be able to realize that a gateway is no good for any destinations other than the specified netblock.

Peter