Re: Redundant internet connections.

On 06/22/07 09:57, Gustavo Homem wrote:
I've done this, but I think it's unreliable for professional use. The USB modems are non-standard so if one burns you can't exchange it for a different one without feasible but time consuming tweaking (tried more then one USB devices...).

Even for Ethernet briding devices I only use models which are delivered by ISPs (rather than retail shop devices), to garantee they were tested for stability:

POTS: http://www.huawei.com/products/terminal/products/view.do?id=87

ISDN: http://www.acbs-dsl-store.com/contenu/Articles/Article.asp?PdtNum=DSLGP628LP

These models run forever in bridged mode. The second one accepts multiple PPPoE clients on different ports.

That's expectable since using PPPoA instead of PPPoEoA, reduces the overhead. But I don't know a standard PPPoA setup.

But if we want QoS working, we can't use the full line capability anyway.

Even if that happens, it would hardly compensate the risk of lower reliability.

All very valid points and things to consider. However for a home environment / non critical environment, it provides a lot of potential.

Grant. . . .