Re: Redundant internet connections.

(Off thread topic.)

On 06/22/07 06:54, Gustavo Homem wrote:
This is absolutetly the way to do it with ADSL.

I could not agree more.

Using a modem in bridged mode minimizes the responsability of the modem/router which is a potentially unstable device. Let the stable Linux box do the work (routing+nat) and get the public IP. And firewall the Linux box itself with iptables. This is the most flexible and stable way to go.

*nod* About the only thing that I'm looking at doing differently at my house is to use the Thompson USB SpeedTouch (330) USB ADSL modem to put the ATM stack on the Linux box its self. This way the Linux kernel will handle the bridging and buffering verses an external device that has arbitrary pauses waiting for buffers to fill prior to transmitting data.

My preliminary tests with the ATM stack on Linux show a speed increase over the external bridging modem too. :) My tests show that Linux / Windows think the raw ATM with bridging circuit will get close to 1.6 Mbps while the bridged devices get closer to 1.5 Mbps. I also see a lower latency between the device connected to the DSL and the upstream gateway by a factor of 3 - 5 ms.

Grant. . . .