Re: Redundant internet connections.

On Friday 22 June 2007 15:22, Grant Taylor wrote:
> (Off thread topic.)
>
> On 06/22/07 06:54, Gustavo Homem wrote:
> > This is absolutetly the way to do it with ADSL.
>
> I could not agree more.
>
> > Using a modem in bridged mode minimizes the responsability of the
> > modem/router which is a potentially unstable device. Let the stable
> > Linux box do the work (routing+nat)  and get the public IP. And
> > firewall the Linux box itself with iptables. This is the most
> > flexible and stable way to go.
>
> *nod*  About the only thing that I'm looking at doing differently at my
> house is to use the Thompson USB SpeedTouch (330) USB ADSL modem to put
> the ATM stack on the Linux box its self.

I've done this, but I think it's unreliable for professional use. The USB
modems are non-standard so if one burns you can't exchange it for a different
one without feasible but time consuming tweaking (tried more then one USB
devices...).

Even for Ethernet briding devices I only use models which are delivered by
ISPs (rather than retail shop devices), to garantee they were tested for
stability:

POTS:
http://www.huawei.com/products/terminal/products/view.do?id=87

ISDN:
http://www.acbs-dsl-store.com/contenu/Articles/Article.asp?PdtNum=DSLGP628LP

These models run forever in bridged mode. The second one accepts multiple
PPPoE clients on different ports.

> This way the Linux kernel will
> handle the bridging and buffering verses an external device that has
> arbitrary pauses waiting for buffers to fill prior to transmitting data.
>
> My preliminary tests with the ATM stack on Linux show a speed increase
> over the external bridging modem too.  :)  My tests show that Linux /

That's expectable since using PPPoA instead of PPPoEoA, reduces the overhead.
But I don't know a standard PPPoA setup.

But if we want QoS working, we can't use the full line capability anyway.

> Windows think the raw ATM with bridging circuit will get close to 1.6
> Mbps while the bridged devices get closer to 1.5 Mbps.  I also see a
> lower latency between the device connected to the DSL and the upstream
> gateway by a factor of 3 - 5 ms.

Even if that happens, it would hardly compensate the risk of lower
reliability.

Cheers
Gustavo

--
Angulo Sólido - Tecnologias de Informação
http://angulosolido.pt