Re: Redundant internet connections.

Ok, after more testing and trying things that others have suggested, I've made some headways. Or at least what I think is some head ways.

This is not an answer, just data that I have gathered along the way to help others that are trying to help me.

I have determined that either I can not get the DGD patches (routes-2.6.21-15.diff) off of Julian's site to work the way that I think it should, or I'm using the wrong patch there from, or said patch does not work. I don't know which, and I can't really say one way or the other.

If I compile a stock 2.6.21.5 kernel (plus patch to see my VMWare LSI SCSI card (should make no difference in routing)) with out ECMP or any advanced routing, I can get the system to fail to the next route after a period of time if the first is down. I do this by adding the two alternate routes with the same metric in reverse order that I want to use. I.e. if I have the following routes: a.b.c.d (preferred) and z.y.x.w (backup) I add the backup route and then the preferred route it will fail over after time. If I set /proc/sys/net/ipv4/route/gc_timeout to 10 seconds the system will fall back to the backup route in about 120 seconds. I'm still playing with numbers in the /proc tree. The problem with this method is that I have yet to get it to start re-using the primary route when it becomes available again.

If I use the previously mentioned DGD patch, the system will just try to cache the route for something like 245 days. I'm still wondering if I am applying the correct patch. This happens with or with out ECMP compiled in to the kernel.

Grant. . . .