Re: Shape own router

On 3/24/07, Andy Furniss <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Salatiel Filho wrote:

> Hi Andy , thanks again , but i am not understanding very well how to
> do it [still newbie in this].  Let`s try to change to some real code
> here. This is part of my  setup to shape download:
>
> eth0 = EXTIF
> eth1 = LOCALIF
>
> # SHAPE DOWNLOAD to LOCALNET NOT COMING FROM THE ROUTER ITSELF [samba
> for example]
> iptables -t mangle -s ! 192.168.254.254 -A POSTROUTING -o eth1 -j IMQ
> --todev 1

If you shape your wan - eth0 using ifb on ingress or imq from prerouting
then you do not need any rules on eth1, the wan traffic will already be
shaped.

If you do not plan on seperating users or interactive traffic from bulk
traffic, it would actually be much nicer to use a policer for ingress
wan traffic. Policing doesn't buffer traffic just drops it when a
virtual buffer is full, so you won't be delaying interactive traffic by
queuing with bulk.

When you shape ingress wan, however you do it, you will need to
sacrifice about 20% of your bandwidth, possibly more depending on
needs/traffic/wan speed. Shaping from the wrong end of the bottleneck is
better than doing nothing, but you can't do it perfectly.

> tc qdisc add dev imq1 root handle 1: htb  default 3 r2q 1   //
> DOWNLOAD SHAPER ROOT
> tc class add dev imq1 parent 1: classid 1:1 htb rate 2048kbit quantum
> 1500 //KNOWN TRAFFIC GOES HERE
> tc class add dev imq1 parent 1: classid 1:3 htb rate 8kbit quantum
> 1500  // DEFAULT CLASS VERYYYYY SLOWWWWWWW

If this were eth rather than imq you would be sending arp to a slow
class - not nice.

Andy.

I was finally able to shape the router itself :) , i changed IMQ default behaviour to AFTER NAT in Prerouting and BEFORE NAT in Postrouting.
I do not know if my setup is common , but i have some like this:

DOWNLOAD LINK  [1024K]            -> HTB
          PEOPLE [500k-1024ceil]
                  guy1 [100k-1000ceil]
                  guy2 [100k-1000ceil]
                  guy3 [100k-1000ceil]
                  guy4 [100k-1000ceil]
                  guy5 [100k-1000kceil]

          ROUTER[512k-1000ceil]  -> router and P2P BOX 24/7  [Before be able to shape the router , i need to hard limit the download speed to not eat all bandwidth, now i can let it borrow if there is available bandwidth in the parent (DOWNLOAD LINK)] -> I really need this 512k rate guaranteed in the router.

          DEFAULT[8k-8k]  -> In theory should not be used by anyone :)

But now i have a doubt , when a packet gets in too htb it will be queued , right ? If it is, is there a way to drop it if it is over the ceil limit ? I really do not want packets being queued `cause probably wiill  delay the interactive traffic. Despite that , my setup is working great , that is just a doubt :)

--
[]'s
Salatiel

"O maior prazer do inteligente é bancar o  idiota
   diante de um  idiota que banca o inteligente".