Re: iptables marks

Hello Alejandro,

The MARK target always returns a CONTINUE verdict internally, so packet will be matching the next rule as well.
You may append another rule that either RETURNs or ACCEPTs the packet.

Regards,
Padam

Alejandro Ramos Encinosa wrote:
Hi all!!

I was trying to figure out how iptables marks work. I thought that a packet
could just be marked once into a chain (if the packet matchs the criteria,
then it the action is applied, and that's all for the packet into this
chain), but I was wrong: I did

iptables -t mangle -A INPUT -i eth0 -j MARK --set-mark 7
iptables -t mangle -A INPUT -i eth0 -j MARK --set-mark 8

and then I did `iptables -t mangle -L -x -v' and I got

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT 9565560 packets, 4954706655 bytes)
 pkts bytes target prot opt in   out source   destination
   45 31630  MARK     0 --  eth0 any anywhere anywhere    MARK set 0x7
   45 31630  MARK     0 --  eth0 any anywhere anywhere    MARK set 0x8

Can someone tell me how can I be sure one packet will just be marked once into
the chain?