Re: Problems getting multipath routes to balance

On Wednesday 28 February 2007 07:53, Tore Anderson wrote:
>    Hi.  I've trying to balance outgoing traffic by using multipath
>   routes, but I can't get it to work.  Only one of the routes are used.
>
>    I'm adding the route like this:
>
>      ip route add table 101 default \
>        nexthop via X.X.X.X nexthop via Y.Y.Y.Y
>
>    It shows up the routing table like this:
>
>      default
>              nexthop via X.X.X.X  dev vlan110 weight 1
>              nexthop via Y.Y.Y.Y  dev vlan120 weight 1
>
>    So it looks quite good.  However, all traffic is routed via Y.Y.Y.Y,
>   no matter what I do.  I can increase the weight of X.X.X.X, load and
>   unload the various multipath kernel modules (_rr, _random, _wrandom,
>   and _drr), flush the cache routing table, delete and re-add the route,
>   but still traffic is only sent to X.X.X.X
>
>    If I reverse the order of the nexthops on the command line, that is:
>
>      ip route add table 101 default \
>        nexthop via Y.Y.Y.Y nexthop via X.X.X.X
>
>    ...the behaviour is exactly the same, only now the traffic is
>   sent only to X.X.X.X.  The ordering of the nexthops on the command line
>   is the only thing that appears to make a difference to me.
>
>    I send traffic from a relatively busy network into table 101 (using
>   "ip rule add from z.z.z.z/zz table 101 prio 20000"), so there's
>   constantly traffic there, and many simultaneous flows.  I tried using
>   "equalize" too, though, but it had no effect either.
>
>    How is this actually supposed to work, and what am I missing?  I'm
>   grateful for any suggestions.  I'm seeing this behaviour both on 2.6.12
>   and 2.6.15.

FAQ sor far by now (this must be somewere...)
(copy & paste of a previous e-mail of mine)

Try a kernel without CONFIG_IP_ROUTE_MULTIPATH_CACHED

there are several threads on this topic in the archive, one as reference:
http://archives.free.net.ph/message/20060618.150532.8a6cc07f.en.html

If it solves the problem, maybe is time to contact the author of Multipath
Cached and send some report.
--
Luciano