Re: Linux as T1 router

Greetings,

 : I am thinking about using a linux server as a T1 router. I have
 : searched the list, but have not found a discussion about what I'm
 : trying to do. I have a situation where the Cisco router I'm using
 : will not handle the additional bandwidth I added recently.
 : Unfortunately, I cannot afford the Cisco unit that will. I would
 : like to know if anyone has successfully done this. I have been
 : looking at the Sangoma T1 cards. Would anyone be so kind as to
 : share their experience in this area. Any advice would be much
 : appreciated.

I can recommend the Sangoma T1 cards.  I have been using the S508
(ISA) and S514 (PCI) models since 1999.  These cards and the (open
source) drivers and management software are easy to use.  The
company is responsive and supportive of their product.

The Sangoma crew have worked over the years to contribute their
drivers into the stock kernel, so it is likely (unless the card you
choose is a newly released card) that your card will be supported by
your default distribution of choice.

The software management tools are provided by a separate package,
including tools for configuring the (optional) onboard CSU/DSU and
diagnosing the frames received by the unit.

Best of all, I can report that I have only ever found one bug in
working with their software and drivers, and this was a corner-case
bug that they had identified before I reported it to them (several
years ago).  In short, the software and hardware is very reliable.

-Martin

--
Martin A. Brown
http://linux-ip.net/