Re: Iptables matching on IFB

FB wrote:
Hey folks,

I stumbled across the Mastershaper project
( http://www.mastershaper.org/ ) but I have a little problem:
I wanted to shape the traffic coming from the router

If you really mean coming from rather than coming into then you don't need ifb or imq.

 itself aswell as
coming from the LAN behind the router, for that task I need IMQ, but
with IMQ iptables-(layer7)-matching is not possible. Now I've talked
with the programmer and he said the following:

The problem is not only MasterShaper - it's simply that iptables can't
match on IMQ interfaces directly. The only way would be to MARK packets
before and then match with tc-filter on the IMQ interfaces. But this
means that two subsystems handle packets and I think this will cause
much more overhead.

Perhaps you can try if iptables is able to match on IFB interfaces
which are already included since some kernel versions and let me know.
If it works I will try to implement this in MS.

I wouldn't be too bothered about doing it this way with imq - if you really need to.

Cheers,
Unki

So, does anyone of you know if iptables matching is possible on an IFB
interface? I would try it myself but sadly I can't experiment with my
router currently :-(

ifb is before iptables on ingress and after on egress, so you can only use it with iptables on egress.

Andy.