Re: Fair shaping over link with variable parameters

On Sun, May 28, 2006 at 09:31:29PM +0200, Rafal Krypa wrote:
> I am trying to construct following shaping solution:
> * several users are using one link to the Internet
> * all of them have equal priority and should be given fair amount of bandwidth
> * no kind of traffic is considered more important than other
> * our Internet connection has no CIR, only "maximum dl/ul speeds" given by
>   provider
> * most important: our outgoing and incoming traffic must be shaped to some rate
>   that will provide possibly low latency. For users that do not have active
>   connections I'd like to ensure no more than 100ms latency for ping or any
>   other low-traffic connections

http://www.metamorpher.de/fairnat

...not what you're looking for probably, but as close as I could get to
fair sharing. But then again, I only have (or rather, had) a small home
network with a cheap, constant-rate dialup connection.

> For several years of my experiments with traffic shaping over Linux I found no
> tool for creating such system. For example, HTB require given, constant 'ceil'
> parameter. I would like to have some qdisc that can automatically adjush its
> rate/ceil parameter depending on achieved latency.

How do you measure latency?

Regards
Andreas Klauer