Re: Shaping of pppoe clients

On 5/23/06, Georgi Alexandrov <georgi.alexandrov@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Kenneth Kalmer wrote:
> Guys
>

> 1. The clients will all be connected to each other using a normal
> ethernet network, the segments connected with managed switches. The
> capacity is roughly 500 nodes. Will these pppoe sessions interfere
> with each other or not?
What do you mean by 'interfere' here?

A colleague of mine thought that these sessions might interfere with
one another. On second thought, I'm not even going to explain this...

> 2. I'd like to know if anyone has tried to shape pppoe client traffic
> by placing a transparent bridge between the servers and clients, and
> shaping on this bridge. I'm just testing the water here, after what I
> read in other threads it will be easier to just use a set of carefully
> crafted ip-up & ip-down scripts with pppd rather than the bridge. But
> nonetheless, opinions are always needed.
I use the ip-up and ip-down scripts, and a radius exec attribute so probably
I can help with them.

I assume that the exec attribute is in essence similair to what ip-up
is, executing an arbitrary command under certain circumstances. Will
look into it, thanks...

I'm planning on segmenting such a network with linux bridges for better
filtering and QoS control. But that's yet to come ;-)

The keyword here is "better", and that was my argument for using a
bridge in the first place. It would appear to be easier to shape &
filter away from the messy scripts of pppd & radius servers, but this
raises the next issue. For the bridge, is the pppoe sessions
identifiable using say source & destination ips, as opposed to pppoe
traffic... I know if I perform a tcpdump on the interface that I
connect to my adsl modem I only see the traffic as pppoe... Logic
tells me that the bridge would suffer the same consequenses...

--
regards,
Georgi Alexandrov

key server - http://pgp.mit.edu/ :: key id - 0x37B4B3EE
key fingerprint - E429 BF93 FA67 44E9 B7D4  F89E F990 01C1 37B4 B3EE

--

Kenneth Kalmer
kenneth.kalmer@xxxxxxxxx

Folding@home stats