Re: Swap size

If the machine will be used only for squid, I suggest you create no more
than 1GB of swap, just in case the physical memory runs out. You can play
with the cache_mem setting in squid.conf and see what is the maximum value
with which it doesn't use swap-space (after all what you seek is cache
speed).

> Thanks to all, but to be more particular, Im going to use the machine with
> 8 or
> 12 Gig of physical memory for squid caching, and we all know that caching
> consumes to much memory. Our objective actually is to cache the most
> popular
> pages on the memory so that it will be faster to access by the clients.
>
> so far there are 3 ideas, 1st no swap dir at all, 2nd physical memory
> multiply
> by 2 or 3 and the 3rd one creating a swap with 512 MB  to 1 Gig. On my
> scenario, wherein im going to use the system for caching, which one is
> more
> applicable?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Wennie
>
> Quoting Carlos Blanquer <relayito@xxxxxxxxx>:

>> > On the contrary. I run many systems without any swap at all.
>> >
>> > What you get by using swap is (from a very simplified point of view)
>> > that if you use up all memory, instead of the programs crashing, the
>> > system gets "slower" (but keeps running). Whether to use swap or not
>> > depends on what you're doing with your computer.
>>

>> I disagree in the point that you necessary needs swap. With that amount
>> of
>> RAM, it's not needed making any swap of any size. I don't think it'll
>> use
>> all of these.
>> By the way, there are some ways to use all that RAM so I suggest to put
>> 512
>> MB of swap o 1 Gig, no more.
>> This is by the fact that, if in anytime the systems gets out of RAM,
>> swapping some low prio proceses will decide wich threads must stop
>> without
>> sacrifying any important data.
>>

>> --
>> Atentamente,
>>               Carlos.
>> LTIM Member - http://ltim.uib.es
>> BkP Staff (Servidores, Gamer Area, Tesorean) -
>> http://www.balearikus-party.org

Anton Glinkov
network administrator