Re: Swap size

On 3/20/06, Peter Surda <surda@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
gypsy wrote:
> Even with huge, and 8 gigs of RAM is huge, amounts of RAM, you need a
> dedicated swap partition.  Don't believe those who say you don't.
On the contrary. I run many systems without any swap at all.

What you get by using swap is (from a very simplified point of view)
that if you use up all memory, instead of the programs crashing, the
system gets "slower" (but keeps running). Whether to use swap or not
depends on what you're doing with your computer.

I disagree in the point that you necessary needs swap. With that amount of RAM, it's not needed making any swap of any size. I don't think it'll use all of these.
By the way, there are some ways to use all that RAM so I suggest to put 512 MB of swap o 1 Gig, no more.
This is by the fact that, if in anytime the systems gets out of RAM, swapping some low prio proceses will decide wich threads must stop without sacrifying any important data.

--
Atentamente,
              Carlos.