Re: Swap size

On 3/21/06, wlagmay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <wlagmay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thanks to all, but to be more particular, Im going to use the machine with 8 or
12 Gig of physical memory for squid caching, and we all know that caching
consumes to much memory. Our objective actually is to cache the most popular
pages on the memory so that it will be faster to access by the clients.

I haven't used Squid, but I thought  that Squid uses Hard Disk space to caching.
Maybe you can use RAM, but in Squid config you must specify what quantity of hard disk memory and how much time it can store the cached info.

so far there are 3 ideas, 1st no swap dir at all, 2nd physical memory multiply
by 2 or 3 and the 3rd one creating a swap with 512 MB  to 1 Gig. On my
scenario, wherein im going to use the system for caching, which one is more
applicable?

I think 1 Gig is sufficient. Relaying on the fact that you'll use your hard drive to caché all the squid info.

Anyway, 1 Gig is the right option in my view.

--
Atentamente,
              Carlos.