Re: Patch to allow for the ATM "cell tax"

On netBSD setting the MTU also seems to set the MRU, is this the case here to? should people have thier DSLAMs configured for the same MTU?

Just remember to take 14 from your overhead if your modem is connected via eth rather than ppp etc. This means you need to put a negative overhead (can you?) if using pppoa/vcmux

> Setting the MTU to 1478 is probably a good idea to prevent excessive
> cell usage. Reasoning behind this being: 1488 is the largest multiple of
> 48 under 1500, less 2 bytes for the PPP header and 8 for the AAL5
> footer.
> > Perhaps you can confirm this isn't way off the mark Andy? :)

1478 is optimal if your overhead is 10 - I use it.

For the pppoes I don't think you gain much as you loose tcp data efficiency by using smaller packets.

Andy.

Robin-David Hammond	KB3IEN
	www.aresnyc.org.