Re: Patch to allow for the ATM "cell tax"

Adam James wrote:

As Markus mentioned in another post on this thread, Jesper Dangaard
Brouer (http://www.adsl-optimizer.dk) has already written an iproute2
and Linux kernel patch that implements the above. ATM cell alignment is
done in tc_core.c, and the per packet overhead is passed to the relevant
kernel modules.

I have made some very minor changes to the patches, so that they apply
cleanly to iproute2-20051007 and kernel 2.6.15. You will find them
attached to this mail.

Just remember to take 14 from your overhead if your modem is connected via eth rather than ppp etc. This means you need to put a negative overhead (can you?) if using pppoa/vcmux

Setting the MTU to 1478 is probably a good idea to prevent excessive
cell usage. Reasoning behind this being: 1488 is the largest multiple of
48 under 1500, less 2 bytes for the PPP header and 8 for the AAL5
footer.

Perhaps you can confirm this isn't way off the mark Andy? :)

1478 is optimal if your overhead is 10 - I use it.

For the pppoes I don't think you gain much as you loose tcp data efficiency by using smaller packets.

Andy.