Re: Fwd: Several IP's, one mail and http server

Edmundo Carmona wrote:

There was a typo. It was DNAT, and not DAN

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Edmundo Carmona <eantoranz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Jan 2, 2006 11:47 AM
Subject: Re:  Several IP's, one mail and http server
To: lartc <LARTC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

If I understand correctly, the server is not directly connected to the
internet, right?

There are some boxes connected to the internet instead... am I right?
One connection, several IP addrs with their own host names. One gateway with these several external IPs. The gateway has one internal IP too, of course. The gateway does SNAT for the internal LAN.

Clients connect to the gateway using different hostnames and therefore different IP's.

They are connecting to a webserver, which is in the internel LAN. They can connect thanks to DNAT (one DNAT for each IP to the same box in the LAN).

When the server on the internal LAN answers the requests, his external IP is assigned by the SNAT rule. If that external IP is not the same as the one to which the client connected, the client will drop the servers responses --- they come from a different IP, as he connected to in the first place.

The only way I see to make it work would have apache to use IP based virtual hosts. That requires virtual interfaces, correct?

By clients I mean random users all over the Internet who connect to different IPs on the same gateway.

How other machines in the LAN connect to the webserver using valid hostnames is another business, easily resolved with DNS zones.

Hope you can figure this out. Thanks for interest, I'll be back tomorrow.

   Alex