Re: Fwd: Inbound and outbound traffic problem

hi,
Damn!!! yes I forgot to mention this. This is to do with "anti spoofing". In Redhat distro's it is switched on by default.

A brief simplistic explanation:

A packet is routed to your machine based on the destination address (obvious), the source address isn't checked along the the route, and you could put anything in there. The final delivery to a computer is based on the MAC of the interface card, the interface card doesn't even understand IP let alone do any address checking. This means that someone could send you malicious packet(s) with a source IP address that is in the range used on your internal LAN, in other words a friendly address. This then is the "spoof"

The anti-spoofing mechanism checks the source address of the packets and the interface it arrived on and reconciles that against the IP subnet that is associated with that interface. If there there is a mis-match the packet is discarded. For example: if your internal LAN is using 10.7.1.0/24 on eth1 then a packet arriving on eth0 with a source address in that range will be discarded.

This next bit is a guess because I have not read it anywhere: The anti-spoofing mechanism also does not allow you to transmit packets out of an interface with destination addresses that are not appropiate for that LAN. The exception of course is the interface which is seen as the route to the "default gateway" as listed in the "main" routing table.

You can now see why you need to remove the anti-spoofing mechanism from the second Internet interface. Just declaring a second "default gateway" in another routing table does not change things.

Now that that automatic protection has been removed from the second Internet interface you should put some rules in your iptables to compensate.

Finally if you think that by hiding behind a FW doing NAT no one out there on the internet can see your internal addresses then you would be wrong. Apart from other applications your Internet browser tells the world what IP address your PC is using.

Regards Mike.

Janis Daniel Bistevins wrote:

Thanks Michael for your answer!
I finally did it in a way simillar as you described. Marking pakets and using nat. BUT everything start working great when I found a little detail: echo "0" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/eth1
/rp_filter
echo "0" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/eth2/rp_filter

Without this, things were confused.

Where this come from? I found this trick in a HowTo from a Spain site:

http://bulma.net/body.phtml?nIdNoticia=1615

Nowhere else!
So, what I did, is a common mistake? Is this assumed by default in every configuration and because of this, there is no comments about this in any other tutorial or howto?

Anyway, ones again Mike, thank you!!

Best regards

J.D.Bistevins