Re: throttle incoming traffic

Uwe Ernst wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i've got traffic shaping up an running perfectly for outgoing
> connections. Now i also want to control the incoming traffic rate on
> mein linux gentoo box. is there any possibity for doing this without
> dropping packages. for example delaying ACKs or something like this.
> im running a
> patched 2.6.14 kernel with
> iproute 20050310-r1
>
> any suggestions?
>
> regards
>
> Uwe

Uwe,

Have a look at a program called trickle.

Yes, you can slow down ACKs, but it is only partially effective because
the other side is going to keep sending a lot of packets even though
your ACKs are slow.  If you do this, set rate and bursts low.  In order
to step out of the way when outbound traffic is minimal, be sure this
flow can borrow from others, perhaps by setting a high ceil and a
numerically low prio.

I do just the opposite because I want to maximize download speeds.  But
nobody is complaining about upload speed either <grin>...

I assume you already know about IMQ and don't want it.

If you can, another effective way to do this is to put a special Linux
box between you and the WWW.  You shape outbound traffic on its external
facing interface and you shape inbound traffic on its internal facing
interface.  Increase the buffer in Linux for that incoming traffic so it
is as large as you can make it.  That is how I do it and it works well
enough, though I also police inbound packets.  I can afford to police
because my inbound is 4,632 and my outbound is 1,500 (measured, not
promised); so I police to 4,600 and hardly notice it except that I see a
miniscule number of dropped packets (30 of 1664527 = .000018 right now).
--
gypsy