Re: Interesting question

On Friday 02 December 2005 18:23, Robb Bossley wrote:
> Would it be necessary to use a separate box to incorporate squid into
> the mix, or can I just use separate interfaces (one for VoIP without
> squid intervention, and one for all other traffic utilizing squid)?

In terms of shaping, if prioritizing the VoIP box is all you want to do,
and assuming that squid has nothing to do with VoIP, you can do it all on
a single machine with a single interface... after all, your filter rules
just have to match the IP of your VoIP box. Using an extra box / interface
for that seems unnecessary.

About squid, I must admit that I don't have any first hand experience with
it. Shaping it properly (on a per-user basis) seems to be a pain, which is
why I never bothered with it.

Regards
Andreas Klauer