Re: HTB - prio and rate

On Fri, 2005-12-02 at 21:25 +0100, Andreas Klauer wrote:
> Actually, a class is always able to use it's rate at any time. The prio has
> only an effect when the class is trying to borrow bandwidth from others -
> then the high prio classes are allowed to take what they need first.

I have wondered about something like this too.  I want to simply
prioritize my upstream bandwidth use, not limit it's use by anything.
Just say (for example) that if an SSH packet is somewhere in the
outbound direction when it hits the queue it gets put to the front of
the queue to minimize the latency of SSH whereas something like
bittorrent waits for SSH but otherwise gets full use of the upstream
bandwidth.  In fact if I were to saturate the upstream with SSH,
something like bittorrent should effectively get no bandwidth at all.

I think this is what Mark wants to, if I'm understanding him correctly.

b.

Brian J. Murrell