HTB - prio and rate

Hi all,

I've not been able to find an explanation of the relationship between
prio and rate as they apply to the HTB technique.  Hopefully someone on
here will be able to help me.

As I understand things, when prio values are assigned to an HTB setup,
classes with a given prio value will only be serviced when there are no
packets waiting in classes with a lower prio value.

Now, does this mean that the rate values for classes with different prio
values should be considered separate?  E.g. imagine the following:

                                   root

                                Q 1:0 HTB

                                C 1:1 HTB
                               rate=100kbit
                               ceil=100kbit
                             /     / \      \
             _______________/     /   \      \______________
            |              ______/     \______              |
            |             |                   |             |
        C 1:2 HTB     C 1:3 HTB           C 1:4 HTB     C 1:5 HTB
         prio=1        prio=1              prio=2        prio=2
        rate=(a)      rate=(b)            rate=(c)      rate=(d)
            |             |                   |             |
            |             |                   |             |
       Q 12:0 pfifo  Q 13:0 pfifo        Q 14:0 pfifo  Q 15:0 pfifo

Should rates (a) and (b) add up to the maximum rate (100kbit in this
example), with (c) and (d) adding up to the same, or should the total of
(a), (b), (c) and (d) be the maximum rate?  I would have thought that
seeing as queues 1:2 and 1:3 would always take precedence over queues
1:4 and 1:5 that they would almost be treated separately?  I suppose it
all depends on whether the "rate shares" are calculated over all
sub-classes, or if separate calculations are done for each priority
group under the HTB class.

Also, it's very possible I've completely misunderstood something
fundamental here.  If so, please point it out.

Many thanks for any information,

Mark Lidstone
IT and Network Support Administrator

BMT SeaTech Ltd
Grove House, Meridians Cross, 7 Ocean Way
Ocean Village, Southampton.  SO14 3TJ. UK
Tel: +44 (0)23 8063 5122
Fax: +44 (0)23 8063 5144

E-Mail:  mailto:mark.lidstone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Website: www.bmtseatech.co.uk
==
Confidentiality Notice and Disclaimer:
The contents of this e-mail and any attachments are intended only for
the
use of the e-mail addressee(s) shown. If you are not that person, or one
of those persons, you are not allowed to take any action based upon it
or
to copy it, forward, distribute or disclose the contents of it and you
should please delete it from your system. BMT SeaTech Limited does not
accept liability for any errors or omissions in the context of this
e-mail
or its attachments which arise as a result of Internet transmission, nor
accept liability for statements which are those of the author and not
clearly made on behalf of BMT SeaTech Limited.