Re: has anyone tried adsl-optmizer kernel patches for dsl modems? (pppoa overhead)

Andy Furniss wrote:

Nothing to do with htb classes, though you are right about small packets being a pain - they typically use 2 x 53 byte atm cells.

The patches make htb lookup the delay of one less than the aal5 length in a table that is generated by a patched tc so the delay returned is the delay of the packet when it is atm cells.

You are right. He is calculating the exact overhead of pppoa inside the kernel (not pppoe because pppoe is not the point of congestion). He also modified tc so that overhead can be tweaked in the script.

I know the exact atm rate of my adsl line. So it should be possible to make an exact scheduling.

The most important application is VOIP on low rate adsl uploads because VOIP packets are small.

I still don't understand why this is not included in the kernel and tc...

My problem is that I have a 2.6.x kernel and his patch is for 2.4.x kernel.