Re: Latency/burst problem with HTB

    Hi Toby :)

 * Toby <tobia.conforto@xxxxxxxx> dixit:
> DervishD wrote:
> > If I add this as you suggest then it will have the same priority that
> > general traffic.
> It doesn't if you lower general traffic to prio 1 and ftp traffic to
> prio 2, as I'm sure I said somewhere in my other email.

    Which I've done ;)) You said that in the comments of the "tc"
commands (you say that the priorities of the sibling classes should
be lower).

> > Would it be because it will go out of the queue *even before* than
> > general ADSL traffic? I think that's the reason, right?
>
> Yes, that's the idea.

    OK, I understand now. Thanks a lot :)))

> Now the only thing left to do is to lower the total rate and ceil
> to 16kbit below the ADSL upload cap (again, read the wondershaper
> documentation to understand why.)

    That's something I learnt even when I didn't know about
wondershaper ;) My ADSL has 300kbit of upload rate, that's why I'm
using 256 and not 300. I want to leave those 44kbit for the other
box. BTW, I didn't notice that the other box was up and running
(running WinDOS) is uploading traffic at almost 10kbps so it is
probably filling the ADSL router buffers :( That may be the reason
why I'm getting poor latency when the ADSL FTP traffic goes above 175
(in fact, I bet the traffic limit is 300kbit-otherboxkbit).

    Unfortunately I cannot shutdown that box by now, and probably I
will need to do my shaping taking into account an upload rate from
the other machine of about 12kbps or something like that. 15kbps will
be better... That leaves a value nearer to 180kbit instead of 256...
Well, I'll try to make the other box upload at a lower rate if I can.

> By the way, I wouldn't use the burst option.

    But it gives me some improvement, why should I get rid of it?
I'm not sure about why it does, but using a burst of 8192-20480 and a
cburst of about the half seems to improve latency a bit. It's just an
illusion? For me it would be great if I could get rid of the burst
and cburst settings, because my tc script will be easier to maintain.

    Thanks a lot for your help, now my tc works much better :))

    Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado

It's my PC and I'll cry if I want to...