Re: ip address delete bug?

jamal wrote:
On Tue, 2005-04-10 at 23:08 +0000, Alexey Toptygin wrote:

On Wed, 5 Oct 2005, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:

[..]

Normally, I would add the new IP to eth0, start another ssh to the new IP, log out from the session to the old IP, remove the old IP from eth0 and be done. If I want the server to be reachable under both IPs during a transition period, I can delay deletion of the old IP until later.

Then I guess the question is: does anything in common use depend on the old behavior?

There's a new feature in newer kernels which allows for an alias to be
upgraded to become primary when you delete the primary. You need to
configure the sysctl otherwise it defaults to purging all the
secondaries when you delete the primary.

Thanks for that feature! Just looked at
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/*/promote_secondaries
and it is the feature I was looking for. Merged in 2.6.12, if anyone reads this in a mail archive and wonders whether he has to upgrade.

This leads to another question: Can I manually promote a secondary address to become primary without deleting the primary? This would help me to use the new address by default during the transition period.

What it sounds like is you need to have ssh run over SCTP instead of TCP
to allow multi-homing.

Maybe, but I did not find any current openssh version with sctp support. And with promote_secondaries, my original problem is solved perfectly.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel
--
http://www.hailfinger.org/