Re: ip address delete bug?

On Wed, 5 Oct 2005, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:

"secondary --- this address is not used when selecting the default source address for outgoing packets. An IP address becomes secondary if another address within the same prefix (network) already exists. The first address within the prefix is primary and is the tag address for the group of all the secondary addresses. When the primary address is deleted all of the secondaries are purged too."

That means there is no way to change the IP of an interface if the prefix and network size stay the same. Are there any plans to fix that?

What's wrong with delete followed by add?

You are logged into the machine via ssh on eth0. You delete the ip address of eth0. How are you going to add the new address to eth0 now that your connection is gone? Go to the server room and use the console?

Normally, I would add the new IP to eth0, start another ssh to the new IP, log out from the session to the old IP, remove the old IP from eth0 and be done. If I want the server to be reachable under both IPs during a transition period, I can delay deletion of the old IP until later.

Then I guess the question is: does anything in common use depend on the old behavior?

			Alexey