Re: Hardware Configuration Ideas

Hello, Mihai,

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 23:53:38 +0300
"Mihai Vlad" <mihaivlad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> I am planning to buy some components for a Linux router that will
> handle the Internet access of 200 computers (includes tc shaping) and
> some inter sub-network routing (at least 100MBps per eth - and there
> are 3 eth cards).
>
> I was thinking of a:
> Pentium 4 - 3GHz
> 256 or 512MB RAM
> Network Cards.

This is more than enough - I'd suggest a PIII/1GHz with 512MB RAM for
those kind of needs, which is also a bit generous.

[ cut ]
> And can you point me to some good Network Cards that you have used
> and are not so expensive. Some Intel, etc. I have no clue about this
> subject...

Network cards - YMMV, but I'd go for Intel EtherXpress Pro/100 for the
100Mbit, and something based on BCM57xx for the gigabit speeds.

My experience dictates that for now the 2.4.30+ kernels are more
suitable for tc/QoS setups.

Hope it helped,
Nickola