Re: wrr vs. htb

Kenneth Kalmer wrote:
On 7/27/05, Peter Surda <surda@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 12:01:06 +0200 Kenneth Kalmer <kenneth.kalmer@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

It's one server, fulfilling two functions, gateway en network service delivery

Ok, now I get it. You can use IMQ and that will solve the problem. Or you can
use a separate computer as a gateway.

               :0 HTB
             /     \
 (HTB) 1:0     2:0 (HTB)
            |         |
  WRR 1:1     1:2 WRR

WRR doesn't like situations like this (don't ask why, some bug somewhere), the
computer tends to  freeze unpredictably.

Ouch, well now each of the WRR discs will be replaced by HTB discs for
each user, currently 140 discs for each WRR disc... Any other ways to
do this, or will HTB cope? This can expand up to 2x 509 discs...

Do you really need to shape the local traffic at all though?

I would be tempted to just shape inet traffic.

If you use wrr then you won't be able to ceil each user anymore - if you don't mind loosing that, then you could also consider esfq, it's not as perfect as wrr but at least you get to choose a queue length more suitable for your link speed.

How can I then handle the equality issues better, should I just pray
that HTB will divide all excess fairly? Also, I forgot to mention that
each HTB for each client get's an SFQ as well, just so that they don't
kill themselves in the process. Is this kosher?

We are talking about shaping downloads here - if so then I think the equality problem could be more to do with loosing control while trying to shape from the wrong end of the bottleneck.

You may well be dropping packets at ISP/teleco rather than in your queues - which with the amount of bandwidth per user you have is going to be tricky to sort.

In fact unless you are using limit 10 or something on sfqs you may not be dropping any at all.

How many users are active at peak times, are you doing nat and how much do they care about latency etc would affect how I would approach this.

Andy.