Re: HTB and PRIO qdiscs introducing extra latency when output interface is saturated

Jonathan Lynch wrote:
Andy, Many thanks for your reply. Below is some output from the queueing
disciplines to show that the filters are working correctly and they are
going to the right classes.

OK classification looks good then.

pass_on means if no class id equal to the result of the filter is found
then try next filter, which is the BE class in this case.

Ahh I'll have to play with this dsmark stuff one day :-)

So back to the main question, could anyone tell me why the delay is so
high (30ms) for VoIP packets which are treated with the EF phb when the
outgoing interface of core  router to network c is saturated ?

I would test next with htb setup like (assuming you are HZ=1000 - you will be under rate if not) -

tc class add dev $1 parent 2:0 classid 2:1 htb rate 90Mbit ceil 90Mbit quantum 1500 burst 12k cburst 12k

tc class add dev $1 parent 2:1 classid 2:10 htb rate 1500kbit ceil 90Mbit quantum 1500 burst 12k cburst 12k

tc class add dev $1 parent 2:1 classid 2:20 htb rate 5Mbit ceil 90Mbit quantum 1500 burst 12k cburst 12k

If that doesn't make things any better then you could try giving the 2:10 class a rate alot higher than it needs and see if that helps.

Andy.