Re: wrr vs. htb

On 7/26/05, Peter Surda <surda@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 12:54:17 +0200 Kenneth Kalmer <kenneth.kalmer@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
> >Guys
> hi
>
> >I don't know how healthy this is, and I don't have a clue on how to
> >improve the performance or lessen the load on the box. I've also been
> >contemplating moving the setup to a WRR-based solution, but I'm not
> >too sure if WRR can equally share local and gateway traffic as
> >different 'flows'.
> I don't understand this "2 kinds of traffic" concept. Where is the server? In
> the internet or local? If local, why the need to shape it at all? I can
> acknowledge though that under certain circumstances when you have several
> parallel WRR qdiscs, it leads to freezes. Perhaps if you explain in more detail
> what the network looks like I can give your more precise answers.

It's one server, fulfilling two functions, gateway en network service delivery

The two flows are as follows:
1. Is internet traffic through this server, acting as the router/firewall.
2. Is the network traffic originating from the (same) server to the network.

The network traffic (2) is mail, audio chat, webcam and a little
website with useful stuff. This is only available to users inside the
network, so no effects on the internet link.

> >If possible, just share your thoughts on the best way to handle this
> >scenario with the 'dual' shaping, different speeds for traffic
> >originating from the network server and internet traffic flowing
> >through the server. The main emphasis is on equality, everyone on the
> >network needs to be happy.
> WRR is perfect when you need equality. [advertisement]Check out shurdix cough
> cough[/advertisement].

I had this idea in the shower this morning, comments please:

                 :0 HTB
               /     \
   (HTB) 1:0     2:0 (HTB)
              |         |
    WRR 1:1     1:2 WRR

OK, the parent flow is the network link, so it's set to 100mbps rate &
ceil. The first HTB class (1:0) is shaped to the speed of the ADSL
link, and attached to it is a WRR qdisc for equality on that link. The
second HTB class (2:0) is shaped to (network - ADSL) and also has a
WRR qdisc attached for equality on the network.

I don't know if this is possible, or even feasible, but on paper it makes sense.

> >Kind regards
> >Kenneth Kalmer
> Yours sincerely,
> Peter