Re: Problem with HTB and ceil

Quoting Andreas Klauer <Andreas.Klauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> I might've misunderstood you here, but just in case:
>
> The HTB prio parameter affects borrowing priority, not packet priority.

You mean priority after the guaranteed bitrates have been fullfilled.

> Which basically means that the proportions which you'd get if all classes
> had the same priority, will look much different.
>
> In other words, low priority classes will not get any bandwidth except
> their guaranteed rate, as long as a higher priority class is borrowing.

More precisely, after the guaranteed bandwidhts have been assigned the excess
bandwidth will be spread to the highest prio class first until the ceiling is
reached and then any remainin will be assigne to the next highes prio class and
the same procedure is repeated until the bandwidht is 0. Correct? If so, that is
exactly what I am trying to achieve.

> Personally, I only use the HTB prio for unwanted traffic class (P2P),
> because I find that for normal traffic, the restriction is too harsh.
> This is why I recommend not using the HTB prio parameter at all in the
> beginning, and only start experimenting with it when you really need it.

I think I really need it ;-)

But I  have observed something else, it looks like if I use two different IP A
and B where I sent packets to, and mark those packets with the correct
different marks, I can see how the prio works, one of the flows is almost drown
by the other as expected from my prio config. So, it _might_ be a problem in the
way how I tag the packets. If you remember I had the ACK class which should have
prio 1, and I matched them with following rules:

iptables -A POSTROUTING -t mangle -o $EXTIF -p tcp -m tcp --tcp-flags
SYN,RST,ACK ACK -m length --length :128 -j MARK --set-mark 200
iptables -A POSTROUTING -t mangle -o $EXTIF -p tcp -m tcp --tcp-flags !
SYN,RST,ACK ACK -m length --length :128 -j MARK --set-mark 200
iptables -A POSTROUTING -t mangle -o $EXTIF -p tcp -m length --length 0:48 -j
MARK --set-mark 200

Is it possible that still some ACKs are not marked correctly? And if so, how
would such a set of rules look like to catch all ACK packets?

Thanks for your help!

nik