Re: Problem with HTB and ceil

On Tuesday 19 July 2005 15:51, you wrote:
> Just to make sure, when you talk about the sum you are talking about the
> sum of the minimum bitrates, not the sum of the ceil bitrates, right?

Yes. The only rules for the ceil should be that it's the same or bigger
than the rate, and that it does not exceed the parent's ceil.

> ## non voip
> /sbin/tc class add dev $EXTIF parent 1:002 classid 1:101 htb rate
> 364kbit ceil 364 prio 1
                  ^ Unit is missing, might cause problems.

> ## ACK
> /sbin/tc class add dev $EXTIF parent 1:101 classid 1:200 htb rate
> 140kbit ceil 364kbit prio 1
> ## SSH
> /sbin/tc class add dev $EXTIF parent 1:101 classid 1:300 htb rate 16kbit
> ceil 364kbit prio 2
> ## http/https traffic
> /sbin/tc class add dev $EXTIF parent 1:101 classid 1:400 htb rate 16kbit
> ceil 364kbit prio 3
> ## bulk
> /sbin/tc class add dev $EXTIF parent 1:101 classid 1:500 htb rate 16kbit
> ceil 364kbit prio 4

This time, the sum is lower than the parent. This is not nearly as bad as
having a too high sum; together with the prio it can even make sense if
it's intentional. I'm just commenting because you should be aware of it,
that's all. If this was my script, I'd add a comment explaining as to why
it is done this way.

HTH
Andreas