Use of qcdisc+htb

Hi folks.

This message may be a bit verbose and not as techie as the ones I've
seen in this list, but describing the scenario will save a lot of
messages.

Scenario:

A building with 17 floors, each floor with 24 offices (totals 408
offices) connected to the backbone through a border switch (1 vlan for
each office). The offices can lease bandwidth of 64k, 128k, 256k,
512k, 1M and 2Mbps, according to their needs. We have 3 links to the
internet, 2Mbps each. Currently, we use cisco's bbsm to handle the
task of allocating the leased bandwidth for the vlans.
Problem: bbsm never performed as expected. It freezes, disconnect
users, reboots for itself leaving us in an awkward situation. After
wasting precious time with cisco and it's product, we decided to move
to another solution and since the boss is an enthusiast of open source
software, we decided to go for a linux based solution.
We found that queueing discipline may be the solution.
The question: are we correct, I mean is qdisc+htb the right thing to
be used in such a scenario? Has anyone out there seen a linux box
handling so many networks?
As I go deeper in this subject, I will come to share my thoughts and
doubts with you guys.

Hope to hear from you. Have a good one.

AL