Re: Use of qcdisc+htb

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 10:14:37 -0300 Alvaro Motta <alvarolmmotta@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Hi folks.
Hi,

>This message may be a bit verbose and not as techie as the ones I've
>seen in this list, but describing the scenario will save a lot of
>messages.

>Problem: bbsm never performed as expected. It freezes, disconnect
>users, reboots for itself leaving us in an awkward situation.
First of all although I personally also think cisco's are not very good for
other things than routing, experience tells me that problems are often caused by
misconfiguration. I'd check out with an experienced cisco professional.

>The question: are we correct, I mean is qdisc+htb the right thing to
>be used in such a scenario? Has anyone out there seen a linux box
>handling so many networks?
I expect you want to use many htb classes with the same parent. I have seen a
reports that this causes problems when you really have a large class number
(several hundred), but again, this may have been caused by misconfiguration.

If you adapt your requirements however (every IP is handled equally), you can
use WRR, it has been proven to work without problems under even larger number of
clients (1400) and bandwidth (16Mbit). For an example see here:
http://mailman.ds9a.nl/pipermail/lartc/2005q2/016500.html

If you don't want to adapt, once upon a time I wrote a management tool for an
ISP with requirements similar to yours. Although I tuned it for performance and
it seems to work well, as far as I know there are only a couple of dozen users,
I don't know how it would behave if it was used with several hunderd users.

>AL
Yours sincerely,
Peter