Re: Lamer needs help for basic tc setup

Geri Fehringer wrote:
Hi fellows,

i'm just a newbie to use the cool tc and played around
the last 2 weeks.

I'm quite confident - in theory - what's possible and
the basic difference
between the queuing disciplines.

We're using a Fedora Core 3 box as Gateway
(iptables,tc,iproute2 with NAT).
Clients are coming in via eth1 and outgouing traffic
(2Mbit/s SDSL) through
eth0.

So we would like to enable bandwidth limitation
per-user, so i just used
several scripts (htp from sourceforge,cbq.init
,wondershaper etc).
(Each client: Downstream max 128kbit/s, Upstream max
90kbit/s)

Shaping is working fine if i mark this specific source
with a iptables
rule, but as soon i apply multiple different source
ip's to mark it within
the same queue, all are sharing my limitation and i
thought each of them
will get the rate-limiting.

You need to have a seperate class and mark for each user

I also tried the u23 matching within tc, but same
effect,

When doing NAT u32 will work for downloads shaped on the lan facing interface but not for uploads on the wan interface you need to mark/classify.

qdisc cbq 1: rate 2Mbit (bounded,isolated) prio
no-transmit

I would use htb with a class for each user - It would probably be nicer to seperate interactive traffic out from bulk aswell - depends on how many users share the bandwidth really.

Andy.