Re: iproute + xml

Let us look back on the archives:

On 12 Jul 2001 17:41:42 -0500, Nikolai Vladychevski wrote:
> But what I am trying to do is to release it for
> production where the end users would point & click for filter creation &
> bandwidth definition, so I think it will be an adventure, but I am
> accepting the risks... after all.... it's free code....

I've been working on an XML format for describing a traffic control
configuration in-house.  We're working on a good way to describe the
rules and its not too hard since most of the settings are hierarchial.
We've eliminated the need for specifying parents by the inherentness of
nesting classes under cbq queues and queues under classes, but have a
few more things to iron out.  I'll be posting what we come up with and
some code to turn it into TC statements when its more stable unless
there's outside interest in working on it.

Offering users a point-and-click QoS+TC environment was on our minds
when we realised that what we needed was a good configuration file
format to save the settings in.
--
Michael T. Babcock
http://www.fibrespeed.net/~mbabcock/

It seems there have been many attempts to what you want to do, as many
people seen the oportunity of simple point-and-click aproach to tc. The
difficult part is not implementing it, but maintaing it and convincing
people to use it.
In the end, it seems to me that this is all like an editor battle, where
people tend to use a lot of programs, but in the end everybody has to
learn vi sometimes because his/her editor is not installed on a clients
machine.

If you want, you can contact Michael Babcock to see if he did something
with the XML parsing library.