Re: iproute + xml

You will have to go beyond JNI...I do belive that making kernel calls
requires more than importing libraries from Linux, it requires compiling a
native Linux application.
Why not make it a C++ app, and then put a Java wrapper around it? Or,
better yet, write an API for the Java to access!
Regarding your question about what it should include, I strongly suggest
RRDTool graphs. The user should pick the statistics (packets, bytes,
drops, etc.) he wants, choose the time frame, press "generate graph" and
then be amazed :).
Also, for the sawy technician, a text form graphic should be nice.

Always current traffic for all classes, refresh interval between 5-300
seconds, (this is where the exec overhead comes out to play) is a must.

Plus, this is about graphing and logging. But what about clasfiers? You
should get used to the ip header, so that you could implement match on
different fields, ranging from tos to ttl, in the form of checkboxes, spin
buttons, listboxes and their friends.