Re: How many (htb) tc classes and qdiscs are too many?

Spencer wrote:

> Is it
> better to create fewer classes and qdisc and assign multiple users to each?
> I haven't been able to find any test on maximum effect number of qdiscs, but
> it could be I have just been looking in the wrong place.  If any one has any
> ideas or could point me in the right direction it would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Spencer

You're not the first person to ask this.  AFAIK there is no benchmark.  People
just do it.  I suggest googling this ML for "hash", "internet cafe",
"pyshaper", "PaceMaker" and whatever else that leads to.  IIRC "hotel" may
also be a good search word.

Tomasz Paszkowski runs a HUGE script for his HFSC setup.

The short answer is that, if you can create a hash that matches, you can
reduce the volume of entries; but that is more a convenience than something
necessary for efficiency.  It takes a HELL of a lot to make Linux groan under
the load.  I once spent > 1 hour loading ~32K filters, but when the script
finished, I could not tell they were there based on the performance of my AMD
Duron 1400 CPU, 256Mb RAM equipped Linux box.

The following is probably the most useful single site you'll find:
http://digriz.org.uk/
--
gypsy