Re: Very simple traffic shaping script for H.323

Greg Scott wrote:

The theory - by default, all interfaces have a classless PFIFO queue
with three bands.  So all I need to do is set the appropriate DS bits in
the packet header to the EF (Expedited Forward) value and everything
else will just work.  Linux will put the packets in the top PFIFO
priority band and they'll go thru my Firewall at Warp 9.9 regardless of
other traffic from other users.

Assumptions:
(1) I don't care about slowing down other traffic flows.  H.323 packets
should be serviced first no matter what. (2) Any traffic with source or destination public IP Address
"abc.def.ghi.jkl" or private IP Address 192.168.16.4 is to/from from the
videoconference device.

I can't really explain all what you see playing with dsmark - but you may have to do things differently anyway.

The pfifo fasts that default on interfaces are not going to help you if the link you are shaping has less bandwidth than your eths are capable of. I assume you want to shape traffic that is going over the internet?

Andy.