Re: New queing discipline

Hmm. Personally, I would not implement a single queue
with multiple algorithms for parsing it. I  can see
all sorts of possible race conditions arising out of
such an approach.

It would seem to be more logical to start by splitting
the traffic into multiple queues, according to the
type of traffic, which you can do with some sort of
classful queueing scheme, such as CBQ. You'd then
process each queue in parallel, using a drop mechanism
specific to that type of traffic.

If you're wanting to differentiate by type of
application, I'd suggest looking at the layer 7
classifier patches.

There are probably QoS schemes that are ideally suited
to what you want, and I'd suggest looking through the
research papers for what has been done so far, and
also to look through the BSD ALTQ code to see what has
been implemented outside of Linux. The usual advice is
to get the most for the least effort, so if someone
has already solved this problem, you would be advised
to build on their solution rather than to reinvent the
wheel.