Re: Starting from scratch w/ multiple uplinks

Am Montag, 9. Mai 2005 17:58 schrieb Sylvain BERTRAND:
> On Lun 9 mai 2005 17:14, Rafael A Barrero a écrit :
> > Hey;
> >
> > I guess I should have included that aspect : what I want to
> > achieve.
> >
> > I'd ideally like to use the new (faster line) as the default line
> > for traffic, but be able to use the old line just as often
> > depending on usage of the new line. However, it wouldn't matter if
> > traffic routed randomly either. If one of the two lines is down,
> > obviously use the one that is up.
>
> Iproute allows you to route packets according to their iptable's MARK
> field... you can randomly mark packets from new connections (with the
> appropriate ratio for each link), and route on this criterion.
>
> You should have a script in /etc/ppp/if{up,down}.d/ that changes the
> routes if one link goes {up,down}.

ACK. But how do you do the checking, if the link is down?
Especially if you have a dsl router in a ethernet subnet.
My subnet consists of three hosts, two of them are bintec routers who do
the dsl stuff. They are reachable, even if the DSL Line is gone.
How would U check that?

> > I just want to get the most out of both lines at the same time. My
> > internal network has two services (http, imap) that need require
> > port- forwarding from the router. Other than that the internal
> > network is used for surfing the web, ssh, ftp, irc, p2p cients.
>
> Your services can listen on both interfaces, no problem with that...
> you can have load balancing on those links with multiple DNS records
> (though that's not a "good thing" (tm).
>
> Use the iptables MARK to use both at the same time, and the
> appropriate iproute setup.
>
> > What about my questions regarding updated documentation for
> > iproute2 (setting this all up)?
>
> I think the contents of LARTC are enough material for you (and of
> course, man iproute, man iptables).

Of course, but there is a need for some comprehensive, easy to
understand HOWTO for non-techies... I guess.
Especially when it comes to tc and tcng...

> For the record, I've never actually done this kind of setup, I'm just
> thinking of what should be done to achieve those things. Somebody
> correct me if this is just nonsense.
>
> Regards,
>
> Sylvain

Mit freundlichen Grüßen